Professional DevelopmentRequired professional development for 2016-2017
The following videos, presentations, or informational sheets and/or websites are required professional development for 2016-2017.
OK SDE Required Professional Development Sheet
(Please note that not all areas are required for all employees).
Hazardous Communications – (14 Minutes) – The Oklahoma School Assurance Group (OSAG) presents the Hazardous Materials in School Environments Video. Topics covered include:
- Waste Minimization
- Eliminating Hazardous Materials
- Methylene Chloride
- And Heightened Awareness
Alcohol and Drug Awareness
Workplace Safety Training in Schools
Teachers of grades 7-12 are informed of the importance of incorporating training into their curriculum.
- Workplace Safety Resources for Teachers (Recommended Website by SDE)
- Talking Safety OK Curriculum (PDF)
- Teacher PowerPoint Presentation (PPT)
- Teen Workers: Real Jobs, Real Risks (Video)
- OK SDE Bullying Prevention (Website)
- StopBullying.gov (Website)
- Creating a Safe and Respectful Environment in Our Nations’s Classrooms (PPT)
- Bullying Prevention & Response Base Training Module (PPT)
FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act)
- U.S. Department of Education (FERPA Website)
Please select between one of the two Bloodborne Pathogen Videos provided by OSAG.
Bloodborne Pathogens – (17 Minutes) – Bloodborne Pathogens and the diseases they cause can be a sensitive subject. Accurate and informative training is needed to allay the fears of employees and dispel the rumors surrounding this topic. This video does just that. The program is developed with new standards and information relating to lifestyles, bloodborne pathogens transmission, prevention and Standard Precautions. This program is appropriate for First Aid/CPR providers, as well as training for all employees in case of emergencies.
Bloodborne Pathogens: The Final Rule – (17 Minutes) – As the title implies, this is an extremely comprehensive program relating to Bloodborne Pathogens. This program covers all aspects of an Exposure Control Plan, information relating to BBP diseases, including Hepatitis B, C, and HIV, as well as modes of transmission, PPE, and acceptable work practices, and emergency procedures.
Please review the following two websites for suggested parental outreach strategies.
- Education World – Connecting Educators to what Works (Website)
- Oklahoma PTA (Website)
Racial and Ethnic Education
- Achieving Educational Excellence for All: A Guide to Diversity-Related Policy Strategies for School Districts – Information/Strategies (PDF)
- Center for Education Policy Analysis – Racial and Ethnic Achievement Gaps (Website)
- Oklahoma Native America Day and Resources (Website)
- NEA – Minority Community Organizing & Partnerships